2016 Program Dates: May 23 to June 8 (May 22 arrival ; June 9 departure)
- Symposium : May 29 (Sun) in the Kaštel
- Classical and Operatic Concert : June 4 (Sat) 8pm in the Kaštel
- Cabaret! : June 5 (Sun) 8pm in the Loggia
Now entering its 9th season, IVAW continues to explore solo and group song of a wide ranging repertoire performed in diverse evocative settings: a concert hall in the historic Kaštel, a medieval loggia, an artist’s fanciful garden gallery. Half an hour from the Adriatic coast and two hours from Venice, Grožnjan has been a gathering place for artists and home to the Jeunesses Musicales International Cultural Centre for over 30 years. We are especially grateful to Jeunesses Musicales for inviting us repeatedly and supporting our efforts.
This year’s theme is Performing the Other, developed through music and enriched by workshops in movement, physical theatre, visual arts, creative writing and social theory led by invited professionals in these fields, and a day’s symposium on this subject.
Our program includes solo and group coachings, personal practice time, master classes and performances, along with excursions to the beach and neighboring villages, wandering into galleries, and hanging out in cafes.
We thrive on the unusual creative energy that prevails in this enchanting artists’ town perched on a hilltop, with medieval buildings and without cars, surrounded by natural beauty—that is Grožnjan!
We will accept a small, talented, and congenial group of students who work well together and live together in the manner of a performing troupe, simply, in a beautiful medieval building with views of the village and the valley.
Jane McMahan, director, will coach voice and interpretation and develop programming; pianist Kimmy Szeto will coach musical interpretation and ear training techniques. Workshops in art are inspired by resident artist Rok Zelenko; additional artistic mentoring will be provided by resident actors Tina Hofman and Marcus Fernandez. Teaching artists Autumn Brown, Selena McMahan, and Omar El Okdah will lead workshops in performance art, physical theatre and mask, and creative writing.
Program dates: May 23 to June 8, 2016 (May 22 arrival ; June 9 departure)
- Concert of classical music in the Kaštel
- Cabaret performance in the village
- Gallery performance in nearby town
And there's more:
- Going to the beach
- Visiting surrounding villages
- Walking through the woods on an abandoned rail line
- Eating at a restaurant that feature local specialties
- Wandering through local galleries
- Hanging out in village cafes
- Jane McMahan, artistic director, voice, theatre (Barnard College, Columbia University)
- Kimmy Szeto, accompaniment, musicianship coaching (Columbia University)
- Rok & Leonida Zelenko, Artists in Residence
- Tina Hofman & Marcus Fernando, Actors in Residence
- Autumn Brown, Teaching Artist
- Selena McMahan, Teaching Artist
- Omar El Okdah, Teaching Artist
We hope to learn more about our applicants and answer their questions. Call or email:
Jane McMahan, director: (212) 795-3513, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kimmy Szeto, U.S. administrator and symposium chair, email@example.com
* To learn about previous programs of the International Vocal Arts Workshop in Grožnjan, Croatia, visit our 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2015 Workshop homepage.